Jon MacLennan is a Los Angeles-based multi-instrumentalist, artist, composer, producer and professional educator. MacLennan began his professional career at age 16, when he played his first paid recording session at a Grammy award-winning studio. Fifteen years later, MacLennan is one of the busiest working musicians in Los Angeles.
Career highlights include recording as a session guitarist for Julian Lennon, son of John Lennon (The Beatles), and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith); recording with British pop-star Jamie Cullum on the Gold-winning album “The Pursuit”; playing guitar and ukulele for Fox’s “Raising Hope”; appearing on the Disney Channel’s hit series “The Suite Life of Zack and Cody”; and then debuting his single “Fallin’ Deeper” on the Twentieth Century Fox Film “Marley & Me II: The Puppy Years” motion picture soundtrack. MacLennan has also composed, arranged, produced and recorded five original albums titled "It Won't Be Long" (2017), "Acoustic Christmas" (2014), “Songs From Box Canyon” (2013), “Dreams” (2011) and “Suspicious Love” (2006). MacLennan also has seven guitar instructional DVDs released on the market.
MacLennan has traveled and performed at world-famous venues all across the globe.
MacLennan earned a bachelor’s in ethnomusicology and jazz guitar performance studies from University of California, Los Angeles, and has been mentored by Kenny Burrell, Carl Verheyen, Wolf Marshall, Tim Pierce, Anthony Wilson, Tamir Hendelmen, Jimmy Wyble and Ron Anthony. MacLennan is the author of three cutting-edge, music instructional iBooks––“Melodic Expressions: The Art of the Line”, "Melodic Expressions: Chord Soloing" and “Play Ukulele”––all created for the iPad and available on the iBook store in more than 32 countries.
MacLennan worked as a private guitar instructor for the Los Angeles Pierce College Department of Music, and also independently instructs several students via SKYPE, which allows him to instruct students from all around the world. With a YouTube channel currently containing more than 427 videos and 1.7 million cumulative video views, his online lessons and performances have become a viral success.
MacLennan is endorsed by many great gear companies ––including Fishman, Providence, Divided By 13, Ohana Ukuleles, Dr. Z Amplification T-Rex pedals and Shubb capos––and creates YouTube videos demonstrating their products.
MacLennan currently resides in greater Los Angeles County.
- Session guitarist for Julian Lennon and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
- Author of three cutting-edge music instructional iBooks created for the iPad, and available on the iBookstore in over 32 countries. Author of seven music instructional DVDs on the market
- Melodic Expressions: Chord Soloing (2015)
- Melodic Expressions: The Art of the Line (2012)
- Play Ukulele (2012)
- At the young age of 18 Jon executively produced, and completed his debut record "Suspicious Love" (2006).
- Recorded with British pop-star Jamie Cullum on the song "MixTape" from the Gold winning album "The Pursuit"
- Jon's single "Fallin' Deeper" was picked up for the Twentieth Century Fox Film "Marley & Me II: The Puppy Years" motion picture soundtrack.(2011)
- Session guitarist and ukulelist performer for multiple episodes of Fox's Television show "Raising Hope"
- Performed as the opening act for pop-star Jesse McCartney's "Beautiful Soul Tour" (2005)
- Session guitarist for Mark Spiro
- Session guitarist for Holly Knight
- Composed, produced, and performed on songs for the Legoland theme park San Diego, CA.
- Performed live on the Disney Channel’s hit television show “The Suite Life of Zach and Cody”, the episode was entitled “What the Hey” and aired on 8/5/06.
- Created a Youtube channel for Guitar Lessons and his personal music with over 1,500,000 accumulative views on his videos, and over 2,500 subscribers.
- Scored soundtracks to four independent surf films for sale across the globe:Performed live opening up for blues legend John Lee Hooker Jr. at the central Oregon blues festival (2008).
- Scattered Archives (2010)
- Longboard Habit (2008)
- "The Perch" (2005)
- "Gettin Loose" (2003)
- Toured in Hawaii with recording artist/record producer Tim Miner. (www.timminermusic.com)
- Toured on the East Coast with The Stagliano Band 2007. Jon recorded a record entitled "Wavelength" with this group in 2006 it was released in 2007.
- Secured a weekly residence performing at B.B. Kings blues club, Universal Citywalk in January 2007.
- Guitarist for Disney stars: Monet Monico, Ruby Summer, Scarlett Pomers.
- Performed live with legendary bassist Louis Johnson.
- Pit band musician for musical “The Little Shop of Horrors”, performed at the vital express center (Santa Clarita, California)
- Worked as a guitarist for the up and coming 80's musical Teen Witch Musical
- Winner and awarded "Best Guitarist" of the 2004 Sherman Oaks Guitar Center Guitarmageddon.
- Provided musical directing services for a panoply of groups and ensembles.
- Received an assignment as a private guitar instructor by the Los Angeles Pierce College Department of Music. He also instructs independently and has several of his own students.
- Performed at a multitude of world famous venues some of which include: The Gibson Universal Amphitheatre, House of Blues (San Diego), The Canyon Club, The Key Club, The Whiskey a go go, The Cat Club,The Joint, The Roxy Theatre, The Getty Museum of Art (Brentwood), The Knitting Factory (Hollywood).
- Session guitarist for a multitude of artists and television work, hear audio clips at Studio.
- B.A. 2010 Ethnomusicology Jazz studies, University of California Los Angles (UCLA).
- Jon has been mentored by Carl Verheyen, Wolf Marshall, Kenny Burrell, Anthony Wilson, Tamir Hendelmen, Jimmy Wyble, and Ron Anthony.